The fabric (from stash of course), while very cute, is not well suited to my age or shape. Small floral print? What was I thinking? The design is way too full - very smock-like, and I haven't worn a smock top since the 70s. And I think I hemmed it too short. All in all - fail. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just a fabric fail. I'm using stash fabric and I'm happy to treat my first attempt at a pattern as a muslin (hopefully wearable). But New Look 6868 will not work. Not on me anyway. (I must say that I feel very brave putting up such an unflattering photograph.)
However, I did have some wins today: previously untried seam techniques. I can hardly believe I have never sewn a french seam or a flat-felled seam before today. They are too easy and they create a great finish.
I did french seams on the shoulder and side seams of the failed yellow top.
Tomorrow, I'm going to do a muslin for the Sorbetto top, because Michelle has generously offered to part with some brown voile and I want to make sure I get it just right before I use such lovely fabric.